Global Futures Intelligence System (GFIS)
The GFIS is now available for those who want to keep
track of global change, gain insights into future
possibilities, and help shape tomorrow.
Subscribers get insights from futurists, scientists, thought
leaders, and other experts around the world. Applications
of GFIS include discovering new opportunities, creating
networks of groups unique to your interests, gaining
access to new markets, and participation in international
surveys, discussion groups, and interaction with expert
reviewers. The objective: making you smarter about
GFIS is more than new software tools, a vast body of intelligence/knowledge/data, and access to global
experts; it is also an evolving system for producing synergies among these three elements that have greater
value than the sum of their separate, individual values. Based on the 15 Global Challenges (see box below)
which have been updated and improved by The Millennium Project for the past 16 years, GFIS provides a
framework for anticipating global change. Teams of highly qualified expert reviewers for each challenge
interact with subscribers to continuously update and improve insights. Each challenge area includes:
- Situation Chart: Current Situation, Desired Situation, and Policies to Address the Gap
- Overview: One-page summary & regional considerations, followed by 100-300 pages of detailed content
- Digest: News articles, Scanning items, and Updates to the challenge by day, week, month, and year
- Updates: Latest edits to the challenges with sources that triggered them
- Scanning: Important information with ability for annotation and to rate their relevance
- News: Latest news items, ability to rate their relevance, and see their news feed sources
- Real-Time Delphi: Survey questions added at any time; answers added to situation chart and elsewhere
- Discussion: Blog-like area to discuss questions subscribers and reviewers would like to explore
- Models: Interactive computer models, mathematical as well as rules-based and conceptual
- Resources: Top websites, books, videos, presentations, and papers/articles
As a subscriber, you can search in each of these menu options separately as well as the GFIS as a whole. You
can also search in other separate sections of the GFIS that contains numerous unique studies on the future,
totaling over 10,000 searchable pages. Studies include elements of the next economy; environmental security;
management implications for future science and technology; global scenarios such as energy 2020, S&T 2025,
Latin America 2030, and Middle East Peace; and an annotated scenario bibliography of over 850 scenario sets.
15 Global Challenges
- How can sustainable development be achieved for all while addressing global climate change?
- How can everyone have sufficient clean water without conflict?
- How can population growth and resources be brought into balance?
- How can genuine democracy emerge from authoritarian regimes?
- How can policymaking be made more sensitive to global long-term perspectives?
- How can the global convergence of information and communications technologies work for everyone?
- How can ethical market economies be encouraged to help reduce the gap between rich and poor?
- How can the threat of new and reemerging diseases and immune micro-organisms be reduced?
- How can the capacity to decide be improved as the nature of work and institutions change?
- How can shared values and new security strategies reduce ethnic conflicts, terrorism, and the use of WMD?
- How can the changing status of women help improve the human condition?
- How can transnational organized crime networks be stopped from becoming more powerful and sophisticated global enterprises?
- How can growing energy demands be met safely and efficiently?
- How can scientific and technological breakthroughs be accelerated to improve the human condition?
- How can ethical considerations become more routinely incorporated into global decisions?
The Millennium Project is a global think tank with 46 Nodes (groups of institutions and individuals) around
the world that connects global and local perspectives among over 3,500 participants investigating future
possibilities. It was founded in 1996 after a three-year feasibility study with the United Nations University,
Smithsonian Institution, Futures Group International, and the American Council for the UNU. It is now an
independent non-profit global participatory system of futurists, scholars, business planners, and policy makers
who work for international organizations, governments, corporations, NGOs, and universities. Its work is
funded by corporations, governments, universities, UN organizations, and foundations
and is distilled in its annual "State of the Future" reports, "Futures Research
Methodology" series, the Global Futures Intelligence System, and special studies on
The Millennium Project, continuing its tradition of forward-thinking global
scholarship, has once again delivered an opus that is impeccably researched and
worthy of world leaders’ study.
--- The Futurist,|
The best introduction–by far–to the major global issues and long-term remedies
--- Global Foresight Books
All strategic thinkers and managers can benefit from access to GFIS.
--- Stanley G. Rosen,|
Former President, Association for Strategic Planning
Invaluable insights into the future for the United Nations, its Member States, and civil society.
--- Ban Ki-moon,|
You can watch the Washington DC Launch of the Global Futures Intelligence System and the 2012 State of
the Future report at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars on January 16, 2013 by webcast live
from 12:20 PM to 1:30 PM at http://www.mga-media.net/Guest-Live.html
To order an annual subscription to the GFIS online please go to:
https://themp.org/subscribe/ or check the appropriate box and fill out the information below and mail to The Millennium Project, 4421 Garrison
Street, NW, Washington, DC 20016 USA
Name_______________________________________________________________ E-mail: ________________________________________|
Shipping Address: ___________________________________________________________________________________________________
City: __________________________ State/ Province: _____________________ ZIP/ Postal Code:________________ Country:_______
Credit Card#: ________________________________________________________________________________ Exp Date: _____________